Ahhhhh, summer. An educator's favorite way to find their way back to themselves. We get lost in the school year. That's just how it is. Between lesson planning, differentiation, assessing data, phone calls with families, meetings with co-workers, fielding e-mails, creating seating charts, grading papers, finding resources - the list goes ON and ON.
Many people like to say, "Oh, you're a teacher? That's great, you get the summers off!" Anyone who loves a teacher knows that those hours were banked during the school year. And most of us continue working straight through the summer. Educators do this job because they love it, but that doesn't mean it's easy.
What's your favorite way to show yourself a little TLC during the summer?
1. Time to read and pedicures. - Ms. D in Philadelphia, PA
2. Taking a bath and watching my TV shows from the week! - Lauren in Madison, WI
3. I go to the bookstore and read. And read. And I let myself drink alllllll the coffee. During summer the coffee shop just sees me as part of the furniture (and give me lots of free refills). - Mr. C in North Carolina
4. a. Using Groupon to try out a bunch of places (especially spas and salons). b. Baking. c. Day drinking. d. Snuggling in bed. e. Not sweating when the to-do list isn’t complete at the end of the day. -Katie in Austin, TX
5. Checking out all the books I wanted to read during the school year and then reading them with a big mug of tea. - Alicia in Phoenix, AZ
6. Having time to read books that I actually want to read that don’t involve teaching! - Ms. A in New York
7. Coffee and a book on the front porch swing. -Jen in Mont Clare, PA
8. Having a completely unstructured day! - Annie in Pennsylvania
9. I love doing work-intensive recipes that I don’t have time for during the school year. I find cooking and baking so therapeutic, and it’s more fun when it’s in-season produce from our own garden! - Nicole in Columbia, SC
10. Going to the shore and sitting on the beach. - Sammie in New Jersey
What's your favorite way to relax in the summer? Comment below!