As the summer days begin to pass more quickly than you would probably like, a lot of us start brainstorming for the new school year. One of the first things many of us like to do is think about our door décor. Decorating your classroom door is “fun” for many of us (I know I love thinking about all of the creative possibilities), but it is so much more than that. Your door is the first thing your students will see when they enter your room. It can build community. It can show your personality. It can be incorporated into your daily routine. The possibilities are endless! This Friday, I am showcasing some of my favorite ideas for classroom door décor. Hopefully these ideas will get your creative juices flowing to come up with your own “fun idea” for the Fall!
Door Décor Rule #1: Make it personal. Your door is a place where you can really build community in your classroom. Students love to see their name, photo, etc. included in a classroom door display. Here are some of my favorites from around the web:
- Insta-Door: This is just so fun and creative, I had to include it. Although the creators were making a display for a door decorating contest, you can easily adapt this idea for classroom use. Have students send you a fun photo from their summer. Take selfies. Include fun facts about your students as the “captions”. I am seriously considering using this one next year!
- Family Trees: The family tree is a tried and true door display strategy. I love the creative design of this one.
- Team Themed Décor: Live in a town that loves its sports? (Who doesn’t, right?) Use your door to drum up some team spirit. Put your school or favorite team’s logo on your door with matching name plates and add the words, “We are all part of the team!” Here are two cute examples!
- Pencil Wreath: I envision creating this cute wreath and adding your name to it. Fun, creative way for students to learn who you are.
- Note from You: I love this idea. It’s personal, it shows who you are, and it motivates your class all at once. There are a ton of variations on this idea, but I encourage you to make it your own!
- Personalized Door Hanger: I love this product on Etsy. I think I would want to create my own though and add things I love about my life. Awesome idea if you’re an artsy teacher. If you are artistically challenged (like me!), I believe the seller does custom work. Nice!
- Game Board Door Décor: Here is a great example of a “Boggle” door. You could do this with plenty of different games or even use magnetic poetry. Early finishers can use the door as a fun extension activity.
- Ticket out the Door: Use your door as a place to store exit tickets and reflections. Here is a great example. Who knew your door can help you organize an awesome lesson?!
- Why Study… : Ever get that dreaded question, “Why are we studying this?!” It was with that inspiration that I created the “Why Study History Bulletin Board Set” in my TpT Store. This would make an awesome door theme as well. You could adapt it for any content area!